Kristy M. Fleming, MD is a practicing Dermatologist and Board Certified Dermatologic Surgeon specializing in skin abnormalities and skin cancer surgery. With nearly a decade of experience, she has brought her restorative talents and surgical expertise to the community of Newport Beach. She practices at The Appearance Center of Newport Beach and Skin Cancer and Reconstructive Surgery Center, both located in Fashion Island.
Her work at SCARS Center is primarily focused on performing skin cancer surgery to eliminate cancerous cells. Specially trained in the minimally invasive technique of Mohs Micrographic Surgery, Dr. Fleming can effectively eradicate these cancerous cells without jeopardizing her patient’s skin.
Dr. Fleming’s experience in dermatology lends itself to her precise technique when treating skin cancer patients. As she performs complex oncological procedures, Dr. Fleming provides her patients with the highest standard of esthetic consideration, maximizing cosmetic results.
Dr. Fleming creates a custom health plan for each of her patients. Common treatments include:
- Basic skin checks and biopsy
- Mole excisions
- Cryosurgery and Curettage and Electrodesiccation
- Used to remove lesions, basal cell cancers and cutaneous squamous cell carcinomas
- Laser Surgery
- Photodynamic Therapy
- Superficial Radiotherapy
- Topical Medications
She is a member of several notable medical organizations, including:
- American Board of Dermatology
- American Society of Mohs Surgery
- American Academy of Dermatology
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
- Women’s Dermatologic Society
Dr. Fleming’s medical specializations include:
In addition to skin cancer treatments, Dr. Fleming treats the following medical skin conditions as a practicing dermatologist at The Appearance Center of Newport Beach:
2000 - 2004 University of San Francisco - Bachelor of Science
2004 - 2008 University of California, Irvine - Doctor of Medicine
Postgraduate Medical Training
2008 - 2009 Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Internal Medicine Preliminary
2009 - 2012 Baylor College of Medicine - Dermatology Residency
Dr. Fleming, MD is a graduate of University of California, Irvine School of Medicine where she was inducted into the exclusive medical honor society Alpha Omega Alpha, an honor given to the top five percent of the class. She went on to attend the University of San Francisco and graduated summa cum laude with a degree in molecular biology and a minor in biochemistry. She culminated her medical studies with a residency at Baylor University of Medicine, one of the best known colleges for dermatology.
After completing her postgraduate medical training, Dr. Fleming worked as a Health Sciences Clinical Instructor in the Dermatology Division at University of California, Los Angeles where she taught clinical training and patient care.
Honors & Awards
Dr. Fleming’s list of achievements are an example of her dedication to academia and medical research, and a testament to her accomplishments in the field of dermatology. She has been honored by several collegiate organizations, granted project research awards, graduated with honors and served as Chief Resident, Dermatology in two different hospitals.
- Chief Resident, Dermatology - Michael E. Debakey Veterans Affair Hospital, 2012
- Chief Resident, Dermatology - Ben Taub General Hospital, 2011
- Dermatology Aesthetic Liaison, 2011 - 2012
- Education Committee - Baylor College of Medicine, 2009 - 2012
- Alpha Omega Alpha - University of California, Irvine
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Student Service Project Award
- Dean’s Office Research Fellowship, University of California, Irvine
- University of San Francisco Dean’s Medal Finalist, 2004
- University of San Francisco Dean’s Honor Roll
- Achievement Recognition for College Scientists Scholarship, 2004
- Achievement Recognition for College Scientists Scholarship, 2003
- Student of the Year - Health Professionals Alumni Society, 2003
- Award for Academic Excellence in Biology: Spring 2003, Fall 2003, Spring 2002
- Summa cum laude - University of San Francisco, California
- Graduate of the Honors Program in Biology
- Graduate of the Honors Program in Humanities
- Alpha Sigma Nu, National Jesuit Honors Society
Dr. Fleming is passionate about dermatological research and education. She is also an active member in her Newport Beach community, advocating for the health of displaced women and children.
For the past fifteen years, Dr. Fleming has conducted research in the fields of Biology and Dermatology. She has written nearly 30 notable publications on several topics in dermatology, including: psoriasis, peer guidelines for the treatment of acne, laser procedures, severe and life-threatening medication reactions in the skin, pediatric dermatology, genetic blistering disorders, disorders of pigmentation, academic dermatology, skin cancer, and internal cancers with cutaneous presentation. In addition, she has conducted oral presentations regarding skin cancer and cell abnormalities, as well as contributed to three medical textbooks.
Dr. Fleming is the founder of the charitable organization Fresh Start a program which provides basic skin and hair care products to women and children who have fled from unsafe environments and are residing in battered women’s shelters.
“Our patients are our passion. We are honored to care for you and your loved ones, and want your experience in our office to be exceptional. We are very proud that our patients refer their friends and family.”
STAY UP TO DATE
Sign up for our newsletter!